Sunday, January 20, 2008

Summary

1. The most important thing I learned in Web2.Huh? is that for me you can remove the “Huh” now- well, at least some of it. The Web for me was pretty intimidating and I did use it to some extent for work and just looking up stuff, but now I realize it’s much more approachable and useful.

2. The most challenging thing for me was just getting up the nerve to start. I was so busy in December and I didn’t want to spend time on the computer. I knew if I started, I would need to finish, and I thought it would take forever to get through everything. I also found that publishing and linking my tasks was somewhat a challenge, and I had to ask LL for help. But she was great and always there when I needed her.

3. Web 2. technologies is the way to go, now that I’ve had a taste. It would be great for marketing the library in any way. YouTube and Flickr could be used to advertise library programs and events. Staff teams could use Google docs and Wikis to work on projects etc. We can use Tagging to bookmark web pages that we need to access quickly. RSS feeds would keep us informed and up to date on current news and knowledge. Library staff can pass on what we have learned to our patrons.

4. The self-directed learning model was very successful for me. The key to it all was that LL was there to help if you needed it. I am not very computer literate, so having LL around, Web 2 FAQ’s, and the straightforward way the tasks were laid out, made the whole process pretty much user friendly. I can’t forget the reward at the end of all this, either. That MP3 player is just what I wanted. Now I just have to use my expertise and get some music on it.

Well, I've done it! I wouldn't have thought I could, but I did! Thank you BPL and LL.

No comments: